Blush is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Every day, millions of people suffer from the frustration and shame of having pimple scars. While the battle continues on in trying to find a powerful cure that can prevent one hundred percent of breakouts, no matter the skin type, people all around the world continue to deal with this malady day after day. The embarrassment of having pimples is bad enough. Adding on the confidence busting dark spots takes embarrassment to a whole new level. Everyone wants to know the main ways to have great skin.
But the exciting news is, this doesn't have to be a continued reality! There are many highly effective ways to get rid of pimple scars. Not only does nature offer great ways to greatly diminish or completely eradicate these troublesome spots, but there are also over the counter and prescription solutions that can get a person well on their way to feeling confident and fabulous in their skin.
This article will give you information on highly effective home remedies, over the counter topicals, and prescription options, all of which can help to turn your deepest humiliation into a glowing self-assuredness.
Natural Solutions to Get Rid of Pimple Scars
The pros of going with natural remedies for acne are that they tend to be very low cost, are easy to use, have few side effects, and contain no chemicals. The downside? They often take a bit more time to work. Nonetheless, they are great solutions that will help to transform your face. Below is a list of 5 natural remedies for consideration:
- Baking Soda: This item is a convenient way to get rid of pimple scars, not only because it is extremely inexpensive, but because most people already have this item around the house (it being a very versatile product). The tiny crystals are tough enough to effectively and quickly exfoliate without being irritating to the skin. It goes to work each time it's used, removing more and more of the top layer of skin where dead skin cells reside (dead skin cells being what makes up scar tissue).
- Vinegar: This liquid is also used in a variety of ways to treat many ailments and promote general health. The acid contained within the vinegar acts as a gentle peel, removing the top layer of skin (where the dark spots reside) and stimulating collagen production, which results in a more even skin tone.
- Tea Tree Oil: This anti-inflammatory oil not only gets rid of pimple scars by removing dead skin cells (thus lightening dark spots), but it also promotes healing of existing blemishes due to its antimicrobial qualities. Double win, right? So not only are you preventing future breakouts, you are removing the embarrassing remnants of previous breakouts.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Like tea tree oil, aloe vera is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial; therefore, it's a great way to heal and fade pimple scars. It also encourages new cell growth and moisturizes deeply for youthful, healthy looking skin.
- Lemon Juice: Compounds found in lemon juice act as a type of organic (non-irritating) bleach that lightens the skin. Also, the vitamin C contained within the juice promotes collagen production (new skin cell growth).
Over-the-counter Solutions to Get Rid of Pimple Scars
The are several benefits of choosing OTC remedies to treat blemish scars. They are easy to access at any local drug or food store. They contain two powerful acids (salicylic and glycolic acids) that quickly eradicate pimples and their damaging effects resulting in faster results. They are often made with several key ingredients (not just one) that work together synergistically to not only treat blemishes, but heal the skin as fast as possible. They really are the most science-backed ways to fight acne. The downside? Although there are many natural (and even organic) OTC treatments coming out to get rid of pimple scars, many companies still use synthetic chemicals in their product blends.
Whether or not you choose to use this method in removing your scars, this form of treatment has been proven to help people on their healing journey.
Below is a description of the two most popular acids used in spot treatment and their benefits:
- Glycolic Acid: This acid is also known as alpha hydroxy acid and is derived from sugar cane. Not only is this acid used to treat wrinkles and sun damage (by increasing cell turnover resulting in speedier collagen production), it is also used as a potent (but not harsh) spot treatment. Because of its tiny properties, it is able to absorb deeply into the skin's pores and remove dead skin cells (which, again, is what makes up scar tissue). This results in a lighter, more even skin tone.
- Salicylic Acid: This compound is a beta hydroxy acid that is derived from willow trees. While this acid is used to treat a wide range of skin ailments, it is most commonly used for blemish control and removing the epidermis (top layer of skin) for spot/scar treatment. Its function, once applied to the skin, is to penetrate pores and pull apart cells (that clump together causing both pimples and scar tissue). This, in turn, helps to both exfoliate the top layer of skin and clean out the pores. Therefore, this acid also produces a brighter, more even skin tone.
(Note: Many of these remedies, if not requiring actual scrubbing, can be used with a simple cotton ball, an application tool that works effectively at spreading the product evenly over the face.)
Prescription Solutions to Get Rid of Pimple Scars
Although there are many prescription scar creams one can use to treat acne scars (Tretinoin, Maderma, Hydroquinone), there is one that is most recommended because it impedes pigment-producing cells from maintaining its dark color. So in simpler terms, it is a strongly effective lightening cream for scar spots. This prescription cream is called azelaic acid. The brand name is called Azelex. Consult your doctor to see if it's right for you.
Finding Your Perfect Pimple Scar Solution
No matter what type of remedy you end up choosing, you know one thing for sure: you can no longer live with this emotionally painful condition. You have to find your best solution.
As stated earlier, there are many factors that influence your decision: Pricing. Convenience. Level of effectiveness. The speed at which the product works. Whether or not it's all natural.
With all of these things to consider, it is important to keep in mind what is most important to you. What works for someone else might not work for you or your skin. Therefore, during the decision-making process, research each choice thoroughly. Ask questions. Gain as much knowledge as you can. This will help you make find your perfect pimple scar solution.